26 April 2011

inspiration from a Norwegian artist: Harald Sohlberg


Harald Sohlberg
Norwegian, 1869-1935

Fisherman's Cottage, 1906
Here's another piece I came across on my visit to the Art Institute of Chicago last year.  I don't know how I had missed this piece in my previous visits.  It really stood out to me this time.  I am drawn to how dark the landscape is but how light and welcoming the house is.  This painting is just so beautiful and dramatic.

Harald Sohlberg is a Norwegian artist whom I had not heard much of. I think the spotlight on Norwiegan artists usually falls on Edward Munch. Which is too bad because I think some of that should go to Harald Sohlberg's work.  To see what I mean, check out Art Inconnu's blog post about his work here.

What do you think of his work? Which is your favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from readers. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.