23 May 2011

inspiration from Piet Mondrian

Piet Mondrian, Dutch, 1872-1944, The Gray Tree, 1911
Although the trees in my area are no longer bare like this one, I saw this piece recently and wanted to share it.  I don't know about you but when I think of Mondrian, I think of black and white lines with bright squares in primary colors. When I saw this piece, I just loved it. Black and white (and grey), yes but so fluid. The lines feel so natural and relaxed but strong and sure at the same time.  It reminds me of a bitter, cold winter day but in a very good way - almost as though it was nostalgic.

What are your thoughts on this piece? Do you like Mondrian's work in general?

You can see more of his work here:

2 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of Mondrian and a few of the pieces in my shop have been inspired by his work. Love this painting too! I agree, it does remind me of a cold winter's day... in a good way!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Davs,
    Yes, I can see some of Mondrian's work in your pieces (Klimt's work too!). This Mondrain piece is almost a warm cold piece, if that is at all possible.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.